Sunday, December 9, 2012

Book Club: Bossypants


As I’ve referenced here, here, here and here, I’m really into reading books. I’m now in the middle of The Pillars of the Earth. (Thank you to my loverly step-sister Brittany for the recommendation.) I can only read it at night though because it’s just too heavy to lug around on the subway et al.

For the plane back from New Orleans I wanted something light (both figuratively and literally), so I picked up Tina Fey’s memoir Bossypants. It was a super quick read and a fun break from the heavy (pun intended) Pillars (think Game of Thrones AKA A Song of Ice and Fire genre).

A brief review of Bossypants, without giving away too much:

Tina Fey provides laugh-out-loud glimpses into her personal life, from early childhood through adulthood. The audience learns about Fey’s family and childhood friends, her time in The Second City and her experience at Saturday Night Live. We also learn about the conception of 30 RockFey even shares her indecision about whether or not to try to conceive a second child.

There is a clear women’s equality message throughout the book. Fey also provides a write-up on “The Rules of Improvisation,” which can actually be applied to life in general, i.e. “There are no mistakes, only opportunities.” Another valuable life lesson comes from a section titled “Things I Learned from Lorne Michaels.” One lesson from Michaels: “The show doesn’t go on because it’s ready; it goes on because it’s 11:30.” Fey explains that “This is something Lorne has said often about Saturday Night Live, but I think it’s a great lesson about not being too precious about your writing.” Fey applies the lesson to her comedy writing. I’m going to go ahead and apply it to my blog posting.

My favorite story in Bossypants is that of Fey and her husband’s honeymoon. It’s beyond funny. Do yourself a favor and read the book, even if just for that one ridiculous anecdote.


Happy Reading,
A

P.S. Pillars review coming, once I’ve read all 973 pages.

P.P.S. Bossypants would make a great gift! Here are the AMB Holiday Gift Guides for women (one & two) and men

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...