Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In The Books


This past Saturday, after a lovely afternoon of bridesmaid dress shopping, brunching and strolling through the Union Square Farmers Market, my friends Fallon and Lauren and I did one of my all-time favorite things; we went to the bookstore. I resisted lingering for hours or even several minutes among the packed shelves of books, to save my friends from pure boredom and/or tiredness. (It’d been a long, albeit fun, day already.) I stuck to my mission of picking up some essentials:
1. A travel guide for our upcoming honeymoon in South Africa (!)
2. The Sequel to Pillars of the Earth
3. Savor, a recommendation from my coworker (and spontaneous book club companion) Allison

And then I caved and bought just one extra item: A magazine of course - Those glossies are my weakness! - The Spring 2013 edition of Martha Stewart Weddings.

Anyway the bookstore pit stop was mostly a success, despite my sense of urgency and the surrounding hoards of Saturday shoppers. Barnes & Noble (in USQ – the outpost in my village neighborhood has sadly closed) was out of the Lonely Planet South Africa tome. (Justin and I are Lonely Planet loyalists after his expeditions in Southeast Asia and our adventures together in Peru, all assisted by spot-on information from the pages of Lonely Planet guidebooks.)

After the bookstore Lauren surprised me and Fallon (a fellow bride-to-be) with engagement gifts: more books! I was obviously so geekily excited, and the books happen to be uber chic coffee table staples. South Africa by Michael Poliza and Friends for me, Cool Escapes: Top of the World for Fal. (Her honeymoon plans are TBD.)

And then back at home, another surprise awaited from the fabulous fiance. He’d gone to our local bookstore Three Lives & Company and found the Lonely Planet South Africa book. Now all we have to do is book our honeymoon…

A/Book Worm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...