Thursday, October 18, 2012

HAIR


It has taken me YEARS to figure out how to “do my hair” in a way that I actually find attractive and socially acceptable. In high school I would wash my hair in the AM and let it air-dry curly. Then I would put it up in a ponytail or bun, sometimes with a glittery headband. In college I ditched the headband and the au natural look. Instead I took a flatiron to my hair, night after night. Sleek straight hair was my “going out” look. And so the hair follicle damage began… 

After college I continued to abuse my locks. I got green highlights. (They were intended to be blonde.) I dyed my hair black. Then I went back to brunette. All the while I over-washed and under-treated my hair.

Then with age came not only a few white hairs but also wisdom. I realized that for my thin, damaged hair a flatiron is THE DEVIL. Instead I now use this thing, straight from the 80’s. It gets the job done, and it doesn’t singe my hair like a Panini maker. I’ve also found the best of the best, Chris Lospalluto, to care for my hair – and my spirit. Chris happens to be hysterically funny, but more important for this post, Chris is a genius stylist and he’s not only resurrected my long (thanks to him) hair, he’s taught me some tricks of the trade, like using dry shampoo as a volumizer. (Who knew?!) I like Klorane or Pssssst! Here are some more hair tips –
  • Don’t shampoo every day (unless your hair gets really greasy).
  • Don’t start coloring your hair unless you’re ready to spend a pretty penny on high-quality colorists.
  • Do invest in seeing an expert stylist, even just one time to get some great advice or to fix a butchered haircut.
  • Don’t get the “best” blow dryer or the fanciest flatiron – use the tools you’re able to use well. (For example, I’m not coordinated enough to use both a brush and a blow dryer at the same time, so I use a cheap two-in-one…)
  • Stick to a hairstyle that flatters your face. I.e. Bangs are on-trend and I LOVE them, but they wouldn’t look great on me.
  • Have a chic bandana or a hat on hand. (Be able to mask a bad hair day!) And ‘tis the season to don a cap. I just got a cute one from Artizia.
A

P.S. My brothers used to refer to my hair as “curly fries.” How adorable is that?! Now my hair looks more like shoestring potatoes when it air dries…

[shoestring fries]

[shoestring hair]

P.P.S. Thank you JENMEN for the introduction to our beloved Chris. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...